posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:02 PM by Sherbeam Wright
updated Aug 8, 2013, 3:29 PM
Online video campaigns are popular, hot and can be very successful. Want to increase your chances of having a successful campaign? The Unruly video technology company put together a whitepaper on the science of sharing, including some key findings about what is needed for a successful, viral video campaign.
Some key findings of the report were:
- Wednesday is the best day to launch a campaign. This is based on the following factors:
- 48.3 percent of the weekly video shares occur between Wednesday and Friday
- the peak of shares occur on a Friday
- the lowest point of sharing is during the weekend.
- a quarter of a video's total shares on average occur in the first three days of launch
- Humor is very subjective and brands need to be extremely funny to impress consumers worn down by a glut of ads which try to be funny (and usually are not).
- Videos must also give viewers a strong reason to share – and ideally more than one emotional trigger - to generate earned shares and views.
- Videos that offered weak social motivations, even when paired with strong psychological responses from viewers, had very low share rates;
"For brands looking to optimize their chances of viral success, the video really needs to reach a critical mass of viewers within the first 24 hours of its launch," said Sarah Wood, co-founder and COO of Unruly.
The full whitepaper is attached.
Also, in case you missed it... you may want to check out the previous Online Resource Best Practices post, "The Psychology of Sharing."